Teff is a fine grain with a mild, nutty flavour that has an excellent balance of amino acids and is also high in protein, calcium and iron – making it a much healthier, gluten-free alternative to conventional flour! It’s also an excellent source of resistant starch which can benefit blood sugar management, weight control and colon health. Wow! After a little bit of experimenting with Teff flour, I created these healthy cookies – decadent without being too sweet and extra nutty from the added hazelnuts! I hope you enjoy xo
Dark Chocolate, Hazelnut & Sea Salt Teff Cookies
Makes: 10-12 cookies
- 1 cup Teff flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp milk (almond, dairy or oat)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp almond butter (or nut butter of choice)
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup chopped dark chocolate/cacao nibs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, stir the Teff flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt until combined.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk the milk, coconut oil, maple syrup and nut butter until well combined.
- Add egg to the wet mixture and whisk for a further 2-3 minutes, until light and bubbly.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet mixture, until just combined. Stir in chopped chocolate and hazelnuts.
- Roll tablespoon-sized amounts of dough into balls then flatten slightly on a lined baking tray.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden around the edges.
- Allow to cool completely on baking sheet.
Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
To get your hands on this super flour, head to http://scoopwholefoods.com.au/!