If you love a good burger, then you’ll be happy to discover this clean, wholesome take on the classic. My family and I go nuts for this one. This recipe is taken from my first book, The Healthy Life. Serve it with these crunchy sweet potato chips for a delicious Sunday indulgence.
Healthy Lettuce Burgers
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 brown onion, finely chopped
- 500 g organic minced beef
- 2 tbsp almond meal
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Himalayan salt and ground pepper
- 1 tsbp olive oil
- iceberg lettuce cups
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 cup pickles, sliced
- healthy tomato sauce
- To make the patties, combine all the ingredients, except the olive oil, in a large bowl. Season to taste and, using your hands, divide the mixture into 4 patties.
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat, and cook the patties for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until cooked to your liking. Place on a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- To serve, place a lettuce leaf on a plate, top with a meat patty, sliced tomato, pickle slices and tomato sauce. Top with another lettuce leaf. Repeat with the remaining patties.
For more delicious and nutritious recipe ideas, check out the JSHealth 8-Week Program.