First things first, invest in a good quality blender. I love Hamilton Beach brand blenders or the Vitamix. Just think, the better the blender, the quicker and smoother your drink will be! After that, making a healthy and delicious smoothie really is as simple as 1, 2, 3…
- Add 1/2 cup of ice-cubes and 1 cup liquid to the blender – e.g. coconut water, nut milk, cows milk.
- Add 1/2 cup frozen fruit of choice – berries, banana and mango are my favourites.
- Add 1 serving of protein of choice – a high-quality, organic pea/whey/rice protein is a great place to start.
Some other JS Health tips and tricks:
- Add a handful of greens before you blend for an extra nutrient hit – try spinach or kale for starters.
- Add 1 tbsp of fibre to keep you fuller for longer! Chia seeds or flaxseeds are my go-to, and so good for an Omega-3 boost.
- If you want a slightly sweeter smoothie, add a couple of dates or 1 tsp of sweetener before you blend – stevia, raw honey or maple syrup for example.
- To make a lower GI/sugar smoothie, replace the banana and sweetener with berries and stevia powder.
Want some more smoothie inspo? Check out these recipes:
- De-Bloat Green Smoothie – perfect to soothe any sensitive tummies!
- Tahini and Vanilla Smoothie – so delish and full of good for you healthy fats!
- The JSHealth Power Protein Smoothie – my classic smoothie. I have it most mornings for breakfast!
What’s your favourite smoothie combo?