A total superfood bowl – and just wait until you try the garlic green dressing! Fennel is one of my go-to veggies; it’s so high in Vitamin C, fiber, folate and potassium and is sooo soothing for tummies. This is one of my fave salads from my first book, The Healthy Life – try adding a poached egg for a little protein boost!
Kale, Fennel, Avocado & Almond Salad
- 1/2 bunch kale, stems removed and leaves torn
- 1 small bulb fennel, thinly sliced, fronds reserved for garnish
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup roasted almonds, roughly chopped
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup cold pressed extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 avocado, chopped
- 1 tsp raw honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup basil, roughly chopped
- Himalayan salt and ground pepper
- To make the green dressing, puree all the ingredients together with a stick blender or in a food processor. Taste and adjust with more seasoning, honey or lemon juice.
- Combine the kale with about half of the dressing in a large bowl. Use your hands to work the dressing into the kale – it will soften slightly.
- Add the fennel, more dressing, a couple of pinches of salt, then toss again.
- Add the avocado and almonds, and toss gently one last time. Drizzle the salad with the remaining dressing and garnish with fennel fronds.