I grew up loving pasta and pesto is one of my favourite types. This fibre-filled version is made using zucchini noodles. It tastes just as good as the original and won’t leave you feeling bloated. This recipe is from my first book, The Healthy Life.
Tomato & Basil Zucchini Pasta
- 6 zucchinis
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 long red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 200g punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 400g tinned baby Roma tomatoes
- 1/4 cup basil, roughly chopped, plus small basil leaves to garnish
- Himalayan salt
- ground pepper
- 2 tbsp pesto
- 4 tbsp ricotta (optional)
- parmesan shavings, to serve (optional)
- Using a vegetable spiraliser, vegetable peeler or knife, shave the zucchini into thin, noodle-like strips. If you want a fettuccine-like pasta, use the vegetable peeler.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Cook the garlic and chilli for 1–2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and cook for 2–3 minutes, or until slightly softened. Add the tinned tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes, or until slightly reduced.
- Add the zucchini to the pan and cook for 5 minutes. Stir through the chopped basil and season.
- Serve the zucchini pasta topped with the pesto, ricotta, parmesan, if using, and whole basil leaves.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes, check out my 8-week Program.