As Thanksgiving 2023 approaches, I can’t help but feel a sense of warmth and excitement.
Now that I am over in the US, this time of year holds an even deeper significance for me. No matter where you are in the world, the message of this holiday is meaningful. It’s a moment to gather with loved ones, to give thanks for the blessings we’ve received throughout the year, and of course, enjoy an abundance of delicious food.
I’ve always found Thanksgiving to be a heartwarming occasion, but I’m also familiar with the feelings of fatigue, bloating and sometimes guilt or restriction that can often follow the holiday festivities. I want you to know it doesn’t have to be this way.
You can savour every delightful bite without compromising your health. The secret lies in letting go of guilt (this = stress, which can be damaging to our wellbeing), embracing balance (discard the idea that foods are ‘good’ or ‘bad’ and listen to your body) and in introducing wholesome versions of your favourite dishes!
Read on for my star JSHealth recipes for your holiday spread…
- Healthy Platter: Kick-start your feast with a wholesome platter. Need some inspiration? Check out our guide on how to build a healthy platter here.
- Pumpkin Pie Porridge: A delightful twist on the traditional pumpkin pie, this recipe is perfect for a Thanksgiving breakfast.
- Vegetable Mash: Swap your regular potato mash with my nourishing Cauliflower Mash or Sweet Potato Mash.
- Sweet Potato & Caramelised Onion Salad: Simple, healthy and delicious – you can include any of your favourite root vegetables alongside crispy roasted sweet potato for a perfect Thanksgiving dish. Find the recipe in the App!
- One Pan Halloumi & Mediterranean Veggies: The combination of fresh Mediterranean veggies, salty halloumi and a hint of herbs makes for a flavourful and satisfying dish.
- Kale Chips: A wholesome snack that’s perfect for munching on throughout the day.
- Baked Pumpkin, Chicken & Spinach Risotto: This comforting, hearty dish is a crowd-pleaser and incredibly satisfying. For a vegetarian twist, use vegetable stock and omit the chicken.
- Pumpkin Spiced Pecan Bars: A treat that screams Thanksgiving! Find the recipe in the JSHealth App.
- Baked Cinnamon & Maple Pears: A simple, yet elegant dessert best served with a dollop of Greek yoghurt or vanilla ice cream. The warm spices, sweet maple syrup and tender pears make this a perfect finale to your Thanksgiving meal.
- 4-Ingredient Strawberry Bark: A fun activity to do with kids and a delicious treat for all!
To ensure you enjoy this Thanksgiving while staying true to your wellness goals, here are some extra tips…
- Get in your greens: Aim to include a portion of veggies at every meal. They’re packed with nutrients and will help you feel fuller for longer.
- Snack wisely: Have a healthy and satisfying snack before heading out to a big feast. This will prevent you from overeating.
- Stay hydrated: Drink plenty of water throughout the day. It aids digestion and keeps you feeling refreshed.
- Have fun: Most importantly, remember to enjoy yourself. Thanksgiving is about gratitude, love and joy, so savour every moment!
- Don’t restrict: If you happen to eat more than usual during the festivities, don’t feel guilty. Rather than trying to compensate with restrictions which can create an unhealthy cycle and strain your relationship with food, simply acknowledge it and move on. Remember, one day of indulgence doesn’t determine your overall health or wellbeing. Balance is key, and it’s important to return to your normal eating habits without guilt or punishment.
Let’s embrace this Thanksgiving with open hearts and nourished bodies. Remember, it’s all about balance and enjoyment in spending quality time with those you love.. Here’s to a healthy, happy and delicious Thanksgiving!
With all my love and care,